I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- totorotori reblogged this from eisuverse
- hothann reblogged this from divaneee
- hothann likes this
- iwastemylifeonline reblogged this from doubtfulcow
- iwastemylifeonline likes this
- kitkatmuffin reblogged this from eisuverse
- kitkatmuffin likes this
- high--on--catnip likes this
- doubtfulcow reblogged this from thebluespraypaint
- summersmusicii likes this
- n-bayram likes this
- callmesazza likes this
- kaweheokalani reblogged this from thebluespraypaint
- kaweheokalani likes this
- zkazmi30 reblogged this from behind-the-last-olive-tree
- lulucpuro likes this
- lulucpuro reblogged this from divaneee
- hellacatspangled likes this
- aleemakeema reblogged this from divaneee
- thebluespraypaint reblogged this from the-hero-of-time-and-space
- thebluespraypaint likes this
- imflounder reblogged this from dontfuuseyourway and added:
- mamamidnight likes this
- imflounder likes this
- hammmad reblogged this from adi-fitri and added:
- despierta-me likes this
- dinohugz reblogged this from johnnyradical
- dinohugz likes this
- thelightmaiden reblogged this from adi-fitri
- smileallday101 reblogged this from adi-fitri
- itsjustnatandalex reblogged this from magconsmut and added:
- soturno reblogged this from covardisses
- itsjustnatandalex likes this
- eisuverse reblogged this from adi-fitri
- arrystorm reblogged this from divaneee
- keepitupbuttercup reblogged this from renusaurusrex
- darrahisloud reblogged this from i-was-made-in-china
- covardisses reblogged this from divaneee
- kokohekmatyar019 reblogged this from divaneee and added:
- kokohekmatyar019 likes this
- behind-the-last-olive-tree reblogged this from divaneee
- littleredspeccy likes this
- lilhil92 likes this
- sentetikorfe likes this
- i-was-made-in-china reblogged this from thebrobeccks
- paramarz likes this
- divaneee reblogged this from adi-fitri
- adi-fitri reblogged this from adambogert