I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- dreaming-on-neverland reblogged this from secretsforabuck
- secretsforabuck reblogged this from ohsweetjealousy
- ohsweetjealousy reblogged this from menstrualcramps
- krystone2591 reblogged this from xquzious
- daniisuzannie likes this
- daniisuzannie reblogged this from god-of-all-fandoms
- unicornqueenduhh reblogged this from xquzious
- heyyl0litaheyy reblogged this from xquzious
- theealchemyst reblogged this from fishsticktardis
- xquzious reblogged this from sierrbearcx
- tenakitty-nya reblogged this from sierrbearcx
- sierrbearcx reblogged this from god-of-all-fandoms
- god-of-all-fandoms reblogged this from mollymclennon
- god-of-all-fandoms likes this
- mollymclennon reblogged this from nekobeingnerdy
- mollymclennon likes this
- internetmeetsmegan reblogged this from i-am-not-an-owl and added:
- whisperasphodel reblogged this from superwharvelock
- whisperasphodel likes this
- superwharvelock reblogged this from rainemanon
- jagratii-beats reblogged this from moonwalkingmichael
- sparkle-d-u-s-t reblogged this from inconsiderablyinsane
- girlwiththeantipossessiontattoo reblogged this from cassycasthebadass
- poison-ivyx reblogged this from hopelessowl
- cmbackbehere reblogged this from ih0petheyshine
- inlondonnowcaptureitrememberit likes this
- nevereverlikeever likes this
- ih0petheyshine reblogged this from cheekysneakyjack
- hopelessowl reblogged this from freee-falllin
- pompous-crotch-jockey reblogged this from please-be-proud
- justmynerdyself likes this
- justmynerdyself reblogged this from please-be-proud
- please-be-proud reblogged this from rainemanon
- half-nagisa reblogged this from scars-dontheal
- blankbeta likes this
- casuallywaitingonforever reblogged this from xotodaywasafairytale
- weepingangelsin221 reblogged this from katnissthedanosaur
- keshoudel16 reblogged this from twins-with-cheeky-grins
- euphrasievaljean reblogged this from coffebug
- theinsideofmaine-sbrain reblogged this from xotodaywasafairytale
- xotodaywasafairytale likes this
- you-gotta-fall-before-you-fly likes this
- redwood13 reblogged this from dawnforacrown
- xotodaywasafairytale reblogged this from sharpsharpwaffles
- amoiramaewho reblogged this from scars-dontheal
- lost-discretion likes this
- legionofdoors reblogged this from nekobeingnerdy
- legionofdoors likes this
- like--glass likes this
- kinseynash likes this