I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- imagination--is--everything reblogged this from ridiculously-fascinated-by-life
- harajukudolly likes this
- ironmaiden43v35 likes this
- ironmaiden43v35 reblogged this from gilinskyy
- s00rad likes this
- ridiculously-fascinated-by-life reblogged this from tardisofbakerstreet
- everythinglsw likes this
- magconboyssmiles reblogged this from gilinskyy
- oliviahoran5sos reblogged this from gilinskyy
- rapunzel0fficial reblogged this from gilinskyy
- zaynmalikisonesexymotherfucker reblogged this from zerrieisfakerthanperrieeyelashes
- wishiwasanelf reblogged this from athinglikeme
- pegasister16 reblogged this from heyvikkitime
- f4bprincess reblogged this from gir1y
- geekgirl1010 reblogged this from gilinskyy
- geekgirl1010 likes this
- imagine-fandoms76 reblogged this from gilinskyy
- alyshambieber likes this
- alyshambieber reblogged this from magconbabies
- magconbabies reblogged this from audiencedream
- magconbabies likes this
- audiencedream reblogged this from gilinskyy
- audiencedream likes this
- mrscamerondalllas19 reblogged this from gilinskyy
- hannahkasapis likes this
- priyababy61300 reblogged this from gilinskyy
- priyababy61300 likes this
- heartstillbeatsthesame reblogged this from recoverystuff
- lolita--s reblogged this from myblogisfabandbasic
- triangular-man reblogged this from sighdrogen and added:
- sighdrogen reblogged this from speedofartforjesus
- thesqueakymonkey likes this
- thesqueakymonkey reblogged this from speedofartforjesus
- u-can-call-me-green-bean reblogged this from letthemelodymoveyou
- letthemelodymoveyou reblogged this from bury-me-in-green-and-gold
- speedofartforjesus reblogged this from tardisofbakerstreet
- speedofartforjesus likes this
- amishwhore reblogged this from musicaldistraction
- tardisofbakerstreet reblogged this from kahlurban
- montgomeryscoott likes this
- kahlurban reblogged this from thewanderingtrickster
- mykittykatkatie reblogged this from stayystagger
- mykittykatkatie likes this
- thewanderingtrickster reblogged this from gir1y
- cryimmortalbird reblogged this from jessliveslifeoutloud
- adifficultfool likes this
- lifeartwords reblogged this from olentaalla
- arty-watson reblogged this from cate-the-cat
- recoverystuff reblogged this from jessliveslifeoutloud