I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- euqinomenimzay likes this
- cloudconversations likes this
- helloliviak reblogged this from camilafangs
- heyitskynzie reblogged this from quin-the-infinite-fandoms
- icekingcanyounot likes this
- modernathena90 reblogged this from interfaithdiscussion
- dryd-in-the-rain likes this
- sarahsnape394 likes this
- camilafangs reblogged this from mister-boss
- mister-boss reblogged this from vanehwasreal
- hamiq114 reblogged this from lolihime-chama
- kj-rlighet likes this
- there-s-a-reason reblogged this from sarahbooner
- ladydreamspeed reblogged this from sifuaang
- theneweraofartisan likes this
- tfiosighs likes this
- if-lost-return-to-awesome likes this
- ryaryan reblogged this from fluffypandattacksquad
- furrnominal likes this
- reichenbachlols reblogged this from tarzaniasfandoms
- the-average-furry reblogged this from lucatri
- tarzaniasfandoms reblogged this from hufflepuff-who-stole-the-tardis
- hufflepuff-who-stole-the-tardis reblogged this from howaretheystillrolling
- atardisnamedsexy reblogged this from bartlebymoldau
- hedgehogwithajumper likes this
- bluepippi90 reblogged this from howaretheystillrolling
- the-average-furry likes this
- howaretheystillrolling reblogged this from therebelhufflepuff
- therebelhufflepuff reblogged this from lucatri
- tremulouswhispers reblogged this from lucatri
- en-balletshoes reblogged this from jumping-jellybeans
- jumping-jellybeans reblogged this from foodediblemorethanonce
- lucatri reblogged this from incendiace
- lucatri likes this
- incendiace reblogged this from foodediblemorethanonce
- incendiace likes this
- foodediblemorethanonce reblogged this from thedalekisoverpowering
- dean-is-angel-sexual reblogged this from give-m3-love
- ingrisalchemist reblogged this from bartlebymoldau
- ingrisalchemist likes this
- redrachxo reblogged this from allonsy-sherlock
- bartlebymoldau reblogged this from thedalekisoverpowering
- thedalekisoverpowering reblogged this from johanssonmel
- pringle-faggot likes this
- missnanalolita reblogged this from topandgdluv
- noodlenuggets reblogged this from fabercastiel
- supernaturalpirate likes this
- 3210lulu0123 reblogged this from jollyshit
- blargeybarble reblogged this from patronusprimeat221
- blargeybarble likes this