I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- mindmackenzie reblogged this from captionniggles and added:
- horton-hemmings reblogged this from lykabitch
- anamiablesir reblogged this from iamsatanbowdown
- mana-hayat likes this
- moonifest likes this
- cybelechrysolla likes this
- motherofallprocrastinators reblogged this from matsu-fur
- motherofallprocrastinators likes this
- bruisybabyy reblogged this from cuwa
- hellobabysteviethings reblogged this from abgirlanddaddy
- hellobabysteviethings likes this
- lykabitch reblogged this from thatgirlwithasonic
- n-octurnia reblogged this from cuwa
- iamsatanbowdown reblogged this from thatgirlwithasonic
- designl-a-b reblogged this from dejamesola93
- thatgirlwithasonic reblogged this from consultingdoctorhuntingshadows
- ambs-in-da-haus reblogged this from ohmarcelinewhyareyousomean and added:
- bijou-frost likes this
- totorolover1 reblogged this from itsdarkandfullofturnips
- marymagdalene-official reblogged this from matsu-fur and added:
- matsu-fur reblogged this from magnifiquedarling
- matsu-fur likes this
- j0e-k1ng reblogged this from thekidkych
- theinfamousz reblogged this from curlynorman
- consultingdoctorhuntingshadows reblogged this from satanrulesmylife
- auxanein reblogged this from ladykyojin
- auxanein likes this
- justanotherteenagedirtbag-baby reblogged this from fiftyshadesoftrey
- justanotherteenagedirtbag-baby likes this
- spaceyclouds likes this
- spaceyclouds reblogged this from magnifiquedarling
- horizontally-vertical likes this
- curlynorman reblogged this from ouija-broad
- allday-allnight-stuffingmyface reblogged this from fiftyshadesoftrey
- allday-allnight-stuffingmyface likes this
- spongebob-smokes-weed likes this
- azumaria-sinclare likes this
- klanon reblogged this from dazedconfusedandhappyaboutit
- klanon likes this
- alunafleur likes this
- jennybooox reblogged this from blasianxbri and added:
- dazedconfusedandhappyaboutit reblogged this from simply-dia
- dazedconfusedandhappyaboutit likes this
- sickof-sorrys likes this
- sickof-sorrys reblogged this from wheresthavodka
- wheresthavodka reblogged this from your-sweetest-sin
- livlurhal reblogged this from cuwa
- magnifiquedarling reblogged this from anxious-wreck