I went to the mall, and a little girl called me a terrorist.
My name is Ela. I am seventeen years old. I am not Muslim, but my friend told me about her friend being discriminated against for wearing a hijab. So I decided to see the discrimination firsthand to get a better understanding of what Muslim women go through.
My friend and I pinned scarves around our heads, and then we went to the mall. Normally, vendors try to get us to buy things and ask us to sample a snack. Clerks usually ask us if we need help, tell us about sales, and smile at us. Not today. People, including vendors, clerks, and other shoppers, wouldn’t look at us. They didn’t talk to us. They acted like we didn’t exist. They didn’t want to be caught staring at us, so they didn’t look at all.
And then, in one store, a girl (who looked about four years old) asked her mom if my friend and I were terrorists. She wasn’t trying to be mean or anything. I don’t even think she could have grasped the idea of prejudice. However, her mother’s response is one I can never forgive or forget. The mother hushed her child, glared at me, and then took her daughter by the hand and led her out of the store.
All that because I put a scarf on my head. Just like that, a mother taught her little girl that being Muslim was evil. It didn’t matter that I was a nice person. All that mattered was that I looked different. That little girl may grow up and teach her children the same thing.
This experiment gave me a huge wakeup call. It lasted for only a few hours, so I can’t even begin to imagine how much prejudice Muslim girls go through every day. It reminded me of something that many people know but rarely remember: the women in hijabs are people, just like all those women out there who aren’t Muslim.
People of Tumblr, please help me spread this message. Treat Muslims, Jews, Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, etc., exactly the way you want to be treated, regardless of what they’re wearing or not wearing, no exceptions. Reblog this. Tell your friends. I don’t know that the world will ever totally wipe out prejudice, but we can try, one blog at a time.
this is so perfect in absolutely every single way.
Tagged as: awesome.
Reblogged from: whitestuffknowslimits
Originally posted by: olentaalla
- bitchpisceswithaastroblog reblogged this from hopeless-dreaamer
- hopeless-dreaamer reblogged this from kittykittayy
- darialikeasir likes this
- ssusannee likes this
- trustme-itsmypleasure likes this
- enchanted-blossomblue reblogged this from ramen-rain
- enchanted-blossomblue likes this
- siffieleafy reblogged this from hera-nova
- maybe-itsnotmyweekend likes this
- leianndra reblogged this from shokenfi
- leianndra likes this
- edgamzofgamzaloria reblogged this from thedemonmoryo
- psycoticmegaheroaddy reblogged this from bladesnbands and added:
- psycoticmegaheroaddy likes this
- lacrossebug123 reblogged this from sduirtle
- lacrossebug123 likes this
- theshadowssoul reblogged this from check-your-privilege-feminists
- whsteria likes this
- lolliesarelife reblogged this from marvelousmistermoustache
- flimsybagels reblogged this from theblankstate
- icelolliesinthewinter reblogged this from theaterkidmatt
- kgkatiee reblogged this from ramen-rain
- joyfuljane reblogged this from coffeencourage
- ramen-rain reblogged this from sjwfuckups
- knightressinshiningarmour likes this
- i-bless-the-rains-down-in-africa reblogged this from officialsydsquido
- bebopbeats likes this
- sspecialsaucee likes this
- aliceinlan reblogged this from check-your-privilege-feminists
- gabriels-tuesday reblogged this from elvenkingofhell and added:
- neverceasetolive likes this
- lyrocross reblogged this from thedracken
- txhnee reblogged this from alaskayoungslastcigarette
- captaintimewarp likes this
- catastrophic-chronic reblogged this from bladesnbands
- lazaratto likes this
- grape-and-rape reblogged this from suicideofafakegenius3443
- fuckyourlifemegan reblogged this from yelsha-elocin
- anjuzoldyck likes this
- sourrcream reblogged this from allthingsicant
- curtailment likes this
- cafeparis97 reblogged this from officialsydsquido
- railgun-of-dwma reblogged this from kunouichi
- dezrafalcon reblogged this from theclockworkclifford
- dezrafalcon likes this
- ayshiaroze reblogged this from yelsha-elocin
- falogabr713 reblogged this from hamletisnotanomelette
- erinontheradio reblogged this from cals-gal
- akuhanafuyu reblogged this from shokenfi
- allthingsicant reblogged this from artistiiq